Event: Vocal Solo Competition
This new plan was created with state and local guidelines and considerations in mind so that we might be able to provide a safe and
positive experience for all participants.
The Vocal Solo Competition will consist of two rounds. The preliminary round and finals round will both be virtual, both with a
requirement for accompanied video recording submissions. Adjudicators will review video submissions and provide written feedback for
round 1 privately and results will then be emailed to directors. The final round will be a "live" ZOOM performance. Students will
attend the zoom session and view prerecorded round 2 submissions that the Judges will then provide immediate feedback for in the ZOOM
session. At the end of the meeting winners will be announced. All awards and winnings will be sent out by mail.
February 20, 2021 - Audition Application & Round 1 Submission Deadline
March 6, 2021 - Results for Finalists Announced
May 1, 2021 - Final Submission Deadline
May 8, 2021 - Spring Live Virtual Finals Round Via ZOOM
- SCVA website platform with ability for direct feedback from adjudicators, one class or group per adjudicator
- Two adjudicators: Charlie Kim and Clarissa Shan
- Students submit audition videos with their application video, where adjudicators have until 03/06 to judge the submissions and provide personal feedback to students in place of live masterclass
- Results will then be sent to directors through email March 6th.
- Any director/voice teacher with a current membership in SCVA (having paid their membership dues for the current school year) is eligible to send students to the competition and/or festival
- Eligible students must be in grades 6-12 for the classical vocal solo competition.
- Eligible students must be in grades 6-12 for small ensemble festival.
- All participants must ensure that they are available for all dates and times before completing the application. The competition is a significant time commitment.
- Participants must be active members of a school choral program (if applicable).
- All ensembles will receive an adjudication with comments and scores. Superior ensembles will be invited to perform at the Finals, but they don't compete.
$25 for a solo performance
$30 for duet, trio, quartet, or small ensemble
All applications will need to be paid through PayPal; NO checks
All application fees are non-refundable
Guidelines and Rules
- To be eligible for the vocal solo competition, students must perform a classical music, musical theatre, or jazz standard solo. A selection from the 26 Italian art songbooks, or equivalent is recommended.
- Ensemble pieces may be performed with no more than one person per part. (i.e. a five-part madrigal will have 5 singers)
- All performers must provide their own accompaniment in virtual recording.
- All solo performances must be accompanied.
- Performers may not accompany themselves.
- All solo performances must be memorized. Ensemble performances may choose to perform with scores.
- No rating or comments will be provided to soloists or ensembles who have not met the eligibility requirements.
- All performances will be allowed a total of 10 minutes total video time.
- Registrations to participate will only be accepted online.
- Soloists receiving a superior rating will advance to the final round (date and location to be announced as it becomes more permanent.)
- Soloists and ensembles may choose to participate for "comments only" and not be rated or considered for the competition.
- Cash scholarships will be paid to qualifying finalists in all categories.
- Selections should be appropriate to the singer's age and experience level.
- Participants have a total of 10 minutes to perform in video submission.
- Must have Accompaniment to acapella singing.
- There will be a concert of finalists after which the highest ranked Junior High student and the top four High School students will be given awards.
- All students must provide original copies of their music for all performances in the competition or festival.
Click here for a printable flyer for the Final Round.
Erika Jackson, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org