Event: Vocal Solo Competition
Welcome to 2021-2022 school year and competition season. We are excited to share our plan moving forward post-pandemic for the
Vocal Solo Competition. We have learned some things about equity and access and how we might move forward with this event in the best
way for all participants. This new plan was and is still created with state and local guidelines and considerations in mind so that
we might be able to provide a safe and positive experience for all participants.
The Vocal Solo Competition will consist of two rounds, just like last year. There will be a preliminary virtual submission round
just like last year and a round 2 virtual submission as well. Both will require accompanied video recording submissions. Those will
be followed by the live finals round concert, which will showcase the top 5 in each category. For both rounds adjudicators will review
video submissions. They will provide written feedback for round 1 privately and results will then be emailed to directors. After the
finalist are selected a list will be posted to the website and emails will be sent out to students and directors. For round 2 students
have a chance to resubmit their performance for consideration in the finals round, the round 2 resubmission is designed for them to
improve upon there submission from round 1. The final round concert is tentatively scheduled to take place in the Moreno Valley High
School Performing Arts Center in May 2022
February 25, 2022 - Audition Application & Round 1 Submission Deadline
March 4, 2022 - Results for Finalists Announced
May 7, 2022 - Final Submission Deadline
May 21, 2022 - Spring Live Finals Round @MVHS PAC
- SCVA website platform with ability for direct feedback from adjudicators, one class or group per adjudicator
- Two adjudicators: TBD
- Students submit audition videos with their application video, where adjudicators have until 03/04/2022 to judge the submissions and provide personal feedback to students
- Results will then be sent to directors and students through email March 4th, 2022. We will also post results in recent news on our homepage as well
- Any director/voice teacher with a current membership in SCVA (having paid their membership dues for the current school year) is eligible
to send students to the competition and/or festival
- Eligible students must be in grades 6-12 for the classical vocal solo competition.
- Eligible students must be in grades 6-12 for small ensemble festival.
- All participants must ensure that they are available for all dates and times before completing the application. The competition is a
significant time commitment.
- Participants must be active members of a school choral program (if applicable).
- All ensembles will receive an adjudication with comments and scores. Superior ensembles will be invited to perform at the Finals,
but they don't compete.
$30 for a solo performance
$35 for duet, trio, quartet, or small ensemble
All applications will need to be paid through PayPal; NO checks
All application fees are non-refundable
Guidelines and Rules
- To be eligible for the vocal solo competition, students must perform a classical music, musical theatre, jazz standard solo or commercial
popular music selected and approved by their sponsoring choir director. Selections must be appropriate in content and fit for educational
competition singing. (If you have questions about a piece don’t hesitate to shoot me an email to check on a song. I would be happy to
discuss the artistic and educational value of selectins to ensure that we are being inclusive and equitable.).
- Ensemble pieces may be performed with no more than one person per part. (i.e. a five-part madrigal will have 5 singers)
- All performers must provide their own accompaniment in virtual recording or live accompanist for finals round concert.
- All solo performances must be accompanied.
- Performers may not accompany themselves.
- All solo performances must be memorized. Ensemble performances may choose to perform with scores.
- No rating or comments will be provided to soloists or ensembles who have not met the eligibility requirements.
- All performances will be allowed a total of 10 minutes total video time.
- Registrations to participate will only be accepted online.
- Soloists receiving a superior rating will advance to the final round (date and location to be announced as it becomes more permanent.)
- Soloists and ensembles may choose to participate for "comments only" and not be rated or considered for the competition.
- Cash scholarships will be paid to qualifying finalists in all categories.
- Selections should be appropriate to the singer's age and experience level.
- Participants have a total of 10 minutes to perform in video submission.
- Must have Accompaniment to acapella singing.
- There will be a concert of finalists. The top 5 in each category will perform in the concert along with any ensemble participants.
After the finalists' performances the highest ranked Junior High students in each category and the top 3 in each category for High
School students will be given awards
- All students must provide original copies of their music for all performances in the competition or festival.
Note: All Superior rankings after round 1 are eligible to compete in the CMEA Vocal Solo Competition as finalists. After Round 1 a list
will be sent to CMEA of those that are eligible but interested participants do need to apply on CMEA Website. When that time comes, I
will post or email more information to those that need it on how to do that.
Erika Jackson, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org